What is it about dark corners that tempt us into storing clutter? From basement shelves to attic crawlspaces, we tend to think that what we can’t see won’t affect us. When you commit to tidying your home, you quickly discover how much better a space — and your mind — feels when even its hidden storage spaces are tidy and organized.
As you embark on a tidying festival in your home, you’ll soon arrive at one of the most precarious spots of all: under the sink. Whether in the bathroom or the kitchen, here are seven tips for facing long-forgotten products and cleaning supplies.
1. Take everything out – always organize by category, not by location. If you have multiple bathrooms, or store cleaning supplies under both the kitchen and bathroom sinks, take every last item out and gather them, so you can see them in one place. Don’t panic if you’re surprised by the volume — that’s not uncommon! — the next steps will help you tackle everything with ease.
2. Discard Expired Products – Medicines, sunscreens and even cleaning supplies lose efficacy over time. Check each container for an expiration date, and discard any items past their prime. Cleaning supplies don’t always include a expiry date, but the typical shelf life is at most two years and you can check the manufacturing date instead. All-natural supplies, such as distilled vinegar and baking soda, are the exception. They can last three years or even longer — yet another reason to commit to green cleaning products!
3. Discard Travel Sizes and Samples – If you’ve been holding onto hotel shampoos or product samples to use when traveling, ask yourself this: When was the last time you really did?Most of us hold onto these items for months or even years and sometimes never remember to pack them.
4. Let Go of Products That Don’t Spark Joy – Many undersink items are necessities, but if you tend to buy fad beauty products or cosmetics, only to stuff them under the sink when you’ve lost interest, it’s time to discard them. None of us needs to hold onto products from our “glitter phase” — unless, of course, glitter still brings you joy!
5. Wipe Items Clean – Items still collect dust under the sink! Before organizing your remaining products, wipe everything clean with a damp cloth, including the cupboard floor. You should also make sure lids are screwed on tightly and any other containers are properly closed.
6. Restock Low Supplies – If you discarded expired items, you likely weren’t using them often enough to repurchase them. Wait until you have a need. One exception proves the rule: cleaning supplies. Make a list of any expired items you discarded but use at least every month. You’ll want to replace them with fresh supplies. Knowing now how long it takes to use them up, buy a smaller size this time — or better yet, switch to those longer-lasting, sustainable cleaning supplies!
7. Pick your suitable undersink rack – Now that you’ve pared down your undersink goods to the essentials, organize like with like. Pick a rack that works for you — color with color, craft with craft, task with task. Gather nail polish in one organizer, along with other manicure supplies. Combine two open boxes of band aids into one. Pour small amounts of beauty or cleaning products into reusable glass bottles that fit them properly. We recommend using simple trays, canisters or repurposed jars to subdivide the undersink area, creating tidy spaces for related products to live together in harmony.
Then select the suitable organization rack suitable for the space, we would recommend to get a drawer as it would be convenient to access when searching for items.
Tidy Tip: Stackable containers, especially clear ones, are an undersink’s best ally — they make the most of tiny cupboards by using vertical space!
ODOROKU 2 Tier Multifunctional Drawer Storage Rack with Wheels Kitchen Supplies Multi Floor Shelf Bathroom Trolley Stora
ODOROKU Stackable Drawer Rack Pull Out Storage Drawer Stackable Design Simple Installation Rack with Drawer
ODOROKU 2 Tier Pull Out Drawer Spice Rack Storage Rack Cabinet Multi-layer Shelf Holding Seasoning Pots
ODOROKU Under Sink Rack 2-Tier Kitchen Cabinet Organizer Rack with Sliding Storage Drawer Stackable Black/ White
ODOROKU L Shape Pull Out Under Sink Cabinet Organizer 2 Tier Drawer Rack Slide for Kitchen Bathroom Storage Black White
7 Reasons You Should Air Dry Your Clothes.
The wind and sun work together to create the ultimate all-natural dryer for freshly cleaned laundry, and can provide you with freshly air-dried clothes, complete with a bright, sunny smell. […]
Tidying the home office
Following the steps below will improve your outlook as you tackle even the most daunting of tasks.